When it came time for Sempra Energy -SDG&E’s parent company- to select a new location for their headquarters, they made sure that Brummitt was part of the team to ensure that energy efficiency was part of the design equation. We worked alongside the developer, Cisterra; award-winning architect, Carrier Johnson + Culture; and the tenant, Sempra Energy. The result is a building that everyone can take pride in!
The Sempra Energy headquarters is a 16-story office building with an attached historical building in downtown San Diego near Petco Park. The project also has several floors of both above- and below-grade parking. It received its LEED Gold Certification in December 2015.
Coming into the project early, we were able to utilize whole-building energy modeling which put the project on track for energy efficiency. Our team’s expertise provided these benefits:
- Reduced construction costs.
- Performance of 22% better than the Title 24-2005 energy code.
- 28% better than the LEED baseline
- Increased the LEED energy points with Exceptional Calculations, supporting its pursuit of a LEED Gold Certification.
- Maximized Savings By Design program incentives to $150,000.
- Ongoing operating cost savings of more than $290,000 each year.
Other special features that contributed to the energy efficient design were two photovoltaic systems that generate on site electricity from solar. The combined PV system is expected to produce enough electricity to offset an additional $15,000 in annual operating costs.
Brummitt is proud to have been part of this special project for one of our long-time clients!